Monday, November 11, 2013

Lest we forget

Verse of the day:
And in that day you will cry out because of your king, whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the Lord will not answer you in that day. 1 Samuel 8:18

Today, here in Australia, it is Remembrance Day. 95 years ago today, on the 11th hour of the11th day of the 11th month 1918, World War 1 ended - "the war to end all wars" they said. Huh. Funny how that wasn't true.

It serves to remind us to remember those of us (at least here in Australia, I'm not sure what other countries observe this, if any) who have served and fallen, particularly in World War 1. This is why we observe a minute of silence at 11:00am - to remember.

I also know that in the US today is Veterans Day, which I believe serves the same purpose (if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me).

Although I don't know anyone who served in World War 1, I know one of my grandpa served as a cook in a war, I'm guessing World War 2 because he would have been the right age. But I miss him and I always think of him on Rememberance Day. My grandpa died in May of 1994 - when I was 7. It's almost 20 years ago. One thing I'm looking forward to doing in heaven one day is getting to know him - because I was young when he died, my memories of him are sketchy.

Another person I was remembering today was my oldest friend's (okay, she's more like a sister) grandfather who died in July. He was in the army for a time. I don't know much else, but I did know him and I was thinking of him today. In fact, I pulled out his funeral card from my bag (which so needs a cleanout!!) and inside were the words to The Old Rugged Cross. I love that hymn, and it's fitting, so I'm posting a link for it here so you guys can listen to it. I hope you enjoy it.

Lest we forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUju31yqll4

No comments:

Post a Comment