Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Who are you living for?

Verse of the day:
Let every detail of your lives - words, actions, whatever - be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. Colossians 3:17

I was having a conversation with my next door neighbour, Chelsea (she's almost 12), about this (by the way, she was home sick today, pray for her!). We were talking about our hopes and dreams for the future and I was telling her how I'd like to be an author one day, and she said "I think you should get going with your novel."

Oh, my. What I thought right at that moment was, "Out of the mouths of babes..." For any of you who don't know what that means, it's a verse in the bible (that I can't seem to find), that means that children speak truth and wisdom, often wiser than their years - and it's usually exactly what you need to hear (well, in my experience it is).

Chelsea's right. I've done about 6,000 on my novel and I'm aiming for about 60,000, so I'm about 10% done - in 3 years. While I don't have a job I should really be spending every moment I can on it.

God gives us time to bring him glory. Every moment we live should be for him, not to waste. Of course, it's okay to sleep in and be lazy once in a while  - we all need to rest now and then. But if we find ourselves living a life of leisure (that I have been), there's something wrong. I should be using every moment to do what God what God wants me to do that day.

 I used to ask God each night to show me where I should spend my resources - my time and money - the following day. But for some reason I've stopped doing that, I don't know why.

I'm going to start doing it again, and living every moment for God. As someone with a heart condition, it's a miracle I have every moment I get - I should have only lived a few days. God saw fit to give me years because he has a purpose for me. I have to live that purpose, not for myself.

Who are you living for?

No comments:

Post a Comment